stc nominees

(6-18-18) The Missionaries of the Precious Blood (C.PP.S.) are pleased to announce the milestone anniversaries of 11 priests and one religious brother.

The anniversaries will be celebrated with a Mass marking the feast of the Precious Blood on July 2 at St. Charles Center, Carthagena, Ohio.

Fr. Larry Hemmelgarn, C.PP.S., provincial director of the Cincinnati Province of the Missionaries of the Precious Blood

“The lives of these C.PP.S. priests and brothers are an example of faithfulness and commitment for all of us. We thank God for their lives of service, which have brought so much good to so many.”

Those to be honored this year are:

Fr. Robert Conway, C.PP.S., celebrating the 65th anniversary of his ordination.

Fr. Conway, 92, was born in Detroit and later moved with his family to Roseville, Mich. On December 19, 1953, he was ordained to the priesthood at Mount St. Marys Seminary, Cincinnati.

Fr. Conway has served as a pastor, chaplain, educator, and missionary to Latin America during his years as a priest.

After his ordination he served at Precious Blood Church in Fort Wayne, Ind., and Corpus Christi Church in Dayton.

In 1961, he traveled to Chile to minister in the C.PP.S. mission there. In Chile, he was active in parish ministry, ministered as a hospital chaplain, and was chaplain of the novitiate of the C.PP.S. sisters of Dayton, Ohio, who were also serving there. He served in urban Santiago as well as rural areas.

Fr. Conway returned to the U.S. in 1974 to attend graduate school. He received his Ph.D. from Loyola University in 1980. He was then appointed instructor and later associate professor at Calumet College of St. Joseph in Whiting, Ind., which is sponsored by the Missionaries of the Precious Blood. He taught at the college for nine years.

Fr. Conway’s later ministries included Hispanic ministry at Our Lady of Guadalupe Parish in East Chicago, Ind.; visiting professor of Latin American studies at Saint Joseph’s College in Rensselaer, Ind.; chaplain of a nursing home in Orlando; parochial vicar of Sacred Heart Parish in Sedalia, Mo.; chaplain to the C.PP.S. sisters in Dayton; and chaplain of St. Anne’s Home in Columbia, Pa.

Fr. Conway returned to education ministry in 2003 when he became chaplain of Ave Maria College in Ypsilanti, Mich. In 2007, he was named chaplain and an adjunct faculty member of Ave Maria University’s Latin American campus in San Marcos, Nicaragua.

In addition to his other duties, Fr. Conway raised funds for the Catholic organizations. From 1996 to 2010, at weekend Masses in 107 U.S. dioceses, he preached on behalf of the Third World poor for the Catholic organizations Food for the Poor, Christian Foundation for Children and Aging, and Cross Catholic Outreach.

Fr. Conway is now retired and makes his home at St. Charles Center.

Donal Theiman

Fr. Donald Thieman, C.PP.S., celebrating the 65th anniversary of his ordination.

Fr. Thieman, 91, a native of Coldwater, Ohio, was ordained on June 4, 1953 at St. Charles Seminary, Carthagena, Ohio.

After his ordination, Fr. Thieman served at St. Ann Church in Toledo and St. Augustine Church in Minster, Ohio. In 1958, he volunteered for ministry in the Congregation’s mission in Chile, and served there for over 50 years.

In Chile, Fr. Thieman was a pastor of churches in Santiago and Valdivia. He served as the director of the Chilean Vicariate from 1970-74. He lived through 17 years of violence after the Pinochet military coup, and helped the people he served survive those times of trial with courage and grace.

In 2012, after 53 years in Chile, Fr. Thieman returned to the United States and now makes his home at St. Charles Center.

Fr. Thomas Beischel, C.PP.S., celebrating the 60th anniversary of his ordination.

Fr Beischel, 92, a native of Cincinnati, entered the Society in 1949 and was ordained on June 1, 1958. For many years he was a hospital chaplain, and has also been active in parish ministry.

After his ordination Fr. Beischel was named assistant pastor of Precious Blood Church in Fort Wayne, Ind. From 1961-1966 he was the treasurer of Brunnerdale, the Community’s former high school seminary in Canton, Ohio. He became a hospital chaplain in 1966, serving for many years at St. Elizabeth Hospital in Dayton; St. Rita’s Medical Center in Lima, Ohio; and Providence Hospital in Cincinnati. In 2000, he became a chaplain at the Dayton Heart Hospital and also served at St. Albert the Great Church in Dayton. In 2008, he retired to St. Charles Center.

Fr. Gerald Dreiling, C.PP.S., celebrating the 60th anniversary of his ordination.

Fr. Dreiling, 90, a native of Kansas City, Mo., entered the Society in 1950 and was ordained on June 1, 1958. He has been a missionary to Chile and Peru for over 40 years.

Fr. Dreiling first went to Chile as a missionary in 1960, where he served in parishes until 1967. He returned briefly to the U.S. before volunteering to serve once again in South America, this time in the C.PP.S. mission in Peru, where he still makes his home. In Peru he has served in parishes and also founded and operates the Asociacion Cultural San Jeronimo, which provides continuing education to the teachers of Peru.

stc James McCabe

Fr. James McCabe, C.PP.S., celebrating the 60th anniversary of his ordination.

Fr. McCabe, 86, a native of Newcastle, Neb., entered the Society in 1945 and was ordained on June 1, 1958. In his years as a priest he has been involved in parish ministry, college administration and leadership of the Congregation.

Fr. McCabe served briefly in parishes after his ordination, then became an instructor at St. Charles Seminary in Carthagena, Ohio, from 1961-1965. During that time he also served as archivist for the Congregation. In 1965, he became the librarian of Saint Joseph’s College in Rensselaer, Ind., which is sponsored by the Missionaries of the Precious Blood. He was instrumental in the growth of another college sponsored by the Missionaries, Calumet College of St. Joseph in Hammond, Ind., where he served first as executive vice president beginning in 1973, then president from 1975 to 1981.

Fr. McCabe returned to parish work in 1982, when he was named pastor of St. Mary of the Woods Church in McQuady, Ky. He became pastor of Immaculate Conception Church in Hawesville, Ky., in 1983.

In 1987, Fr. McCabe was named pastor of Immaculate Conception Church in Celina, Ohio, where he served until 1992, when he was named secretary for the province. He also served the province as its personnel director, and had been a member of its senate. During this time, Fr. McCabe helped found the Amici, a group of former members and students of the C.PP.S. He served as Amici coordinator from 1987 to 2005.

In 1997, Fr. McCabe accepted an assignment to the Sorrowful Mother Shrine in Bellevue, Ohio. He was named director of the shrine in 2000, where he served until his retirement in 2001.

In 2002, Fr. McCabe retired to St. Charles Center.

Brother Timothy Hemm, C.PP.S., celebrating the 50th anniversary of his profession as a religious brother.

Br. Tim, 70, a native of Piqua, Ohio, entered the Society in 1961 and was professed a brother on August 15, 1968. He has been active in education ministry for many years.

Br. Tim first taught at St. Joseph School in Wapakoneta, Ohio, before being assigned in 1972 to Saint Joseph’s College in Rensselaer, Ind., which is sponsored by the Missionaries of the Precious Blood. He has been a part of campus life at Saint Joseph’s ever since, performing many functions at the college. While operations at the college were suspended in May 2017, Br. Tim remains on campus helping to care for the building and grounds while a plan for it to reemerge as a new institution is put in place.

Fr. LeRoy Moreeuw, C.PP.S., celebrating the 50th anniversary of his ordination.

Fr. Moreeuw, 81, a native of Detroit, entered the society in 1963 and was ordained on May 18, 1968. He has been involved in parish ministry, vocation work and teaching during his years as a priest.

After his ordination, Fr. Moreeuw became an instructor at Brunnerdale, the Society’s former high school seminary in Canton, Ohio, from 1968 to 1972. In 1972, he was appointed associate pastor of St. Peter Church in Harper Woods, Mich. He first came to Our Lady of Good Counsel in Cleveland as an associate pastor in 1975, and served there for seven years at that time.

In 1982, Fr. Moreeuw was appointed formation director for the Missionaries. He was named pastor of Precious Blood Church in Fort Wayne, Ind., in 1983. In 1996, he returned to Our Lady of Good Counsel in Cleveland as its pastor. He served there until 2010, when he moved to Old St. Mary’s Church in Detroit, where he is senior priest in residence. In addition to celebrating daily Mass, he gives spiritual direction to priests and seminarians.

Kenneth Alt

Fr. Kenneth Alt, C.PP.S., celebrating the 40th anniversary of his ordination.

Fr. Alt, 66, a native of Tiffin, Ohio, entered the society in 1965 and was ordained on June 24, 1978. He has been involved in parish ministry and vocation and formation work during his years as a priest.

After his ordination, Fr. Alt was assigned to Our Lady of Good Counsel Parish in Cleveland. In 1980, he took on vocation ministry at Brunnerdale, the Missionaries’ former high school seminary near Canton, Ohio. He was named director of spiritual formation at Saint Joseph’s College in Rensselaer, Ind., in 1981 and director of special formation in 1983.

Fr. Alt returned to parish ministry in 1984 as associate pastor of Immaculate Conception Church in Celina, Ohio. In the years that followed, he served as pastor of St. Augustine Church Rensselaer, Ind.; Precious Blood Church in Fort Wayne; and Sts. Peter, St. Joseph and St. Anthony Parishes in Mercer County, Ohio; Mary Help of Christians in Fort Recovery, Ohio; and St. Michael Parish in Kalida, Ohio.

After a sabbatical, Fr. Alt served briefly at the Marion Catholic Community in Marion Township, Ohio, before returning to Immaculate Conception in Celina in 2010.

In 2017, he was appointed pastor of Holy Trinity Parish in Trinity, Ind., where he currently serves.

stc Richard Friebel.jpg

Fr. Rick Friebel, C.PP.S., celebrating the 40th anniversary of his ordination.

Fr. Friebel, 67, a native of Shelby, Ohio, entered the Society in 1965 and was ordained on June 22, 1978. He has been involved in parish ministry and education ministry during his years as a priest.

After his ordination, Fr. Friebel was named dean of students at Brunnerdale, the Missionaries’ former high school seminary near Canton, Ohio. He was assigned to Precious Blood Church in Fort Wayne in 1981.

In 1986, Fr. Friebel became chaplain of Calumet College of St. Joseph in Whiting, Ind. He was the chaplain, theology instructor as well as head of the theology department at the college and later served as its dean of students.

Fr. Friebel returned to parish ministry in 1989 at St. Andrew Church in Orlando. His parish ministry in the years that followed included Our Lady of Good Counsel in Cleveland; St. Andrew Church in Orlando, St. Ann in Haines City, Fla.; Precious Blood and Holy Trinity in Dayton; and Our Lady of Guadalupe in Montezuma, Ohio.

Fr. Friebel now serves as parochial vicar at Sts. Peter and Paul in Ottawa, Ohio; St. John the Baptist in Glandorf, Ohio; St. Michael in Kalida, Ohio; and St. John the Baptist in Continental, Ohio.

stc Thomas Hemm.jpg

Fr. Thomas Hemm, C.PP.S., celebrating the 40th anniversary of his ordination.

Fr. Hemm, 72, a native of Piqua, Ohio, entered the Society in 1959 and was ordained on December 30, 1978 in Valdivia, Chile.

Fr. Hemm, who served as a Missionary to Chile for many years, has also been involved in parish ministry the Congregation’s leadership during his years as a priest.

Fr. Hemm served in Chile for 26 years before returning to the U.S., where he was appointed pastor of Sts. Peter and Paul Church in Ottawa, Ohio. During those years, he was also elected to the first of his five terms on the Missionaries’ provincial council.

In 2008, Fr. Hemm was named pastor of the St. Henry, Ohio, cluster of parishes, where he served until August 2017. He is now the local director of the C.PP.S. at St. Charles, where he makes his home.

stc George Kuzara

Fr. George Kuzara, C.PP.S., celebrating the 40th anniversary of his ordination.

Fr. Kuzara, 67, a native of East Chicago, Ind., entered the Society in 1969 and was ordained on June 24, 1978. He has been involved in parish ministry and shrine ministry during his years as a priest.

After his ordination, Fr. Kuzara was assigned to St. Joseph Church in Wapakoneta, Ohio. In 1983, he became an instructor of bi-ritual ministry at Calumet College of St. Joseph in Whiting, Ind.

Fr. Kuzara returned to parish ministry in 1985 at St. John the Baptist Church in Whiting, later serving at St. George Romanian Rite Catholic Church in Aurora, Ill.; St. Joseph and St. Peter in Fort Recovery, Ohio; and St. John the Baptist Ukrainian Catholic Church, Northampton, Penn.

He was named director of the Sorrowful Mother Shrine in Bellevue, Ohio, in 2001. He served as parish administrator of St. Michael Ukrainian Catholic Church, Frackville, Penn., and its mission parish, St. John the Baptist, in Maizeville, Penn., from 2003-2004.

He returned to the Sorrowful Mother Shrine as its director in 2004, and served there until 2016, when he was named pastor of St. Michael Ukrainian Catholic Church in Mishawka, Ind. In July he will return to ministry at the Sorrowful Mother Shrine.

Fr. Clarence Williams, C.PP.S., celebrating the 40th anniversary of his ordination.

Fr. Williams, 68, a native of Tuscaloosa, Ala., who was raised in Cleveland, entered the Society in 1965 and was ordained on October 28, 1978.

Throughout his years as a priest, Fr. Williams has been active in parish ministry, the leadership of his religious congregation, and helping the Church promote racial equality and understand racial issues.

After his ordination Fr. Williams served as an assistant pastor then pastor of St. Anthony Church in Detroit. At that time he served for 25 years as a regular celebrant for the televised Mass for shut-ins. He also received church and foundation grants to produce television shows for national and international broadcast through Vatican distribution.

Fr. Williams was appointed director of Black Catholic Ministries for the Archdiocese of Detroit in 1995.While in this position, Fr. Williams served as the co-convener of Building Bridges in Black and Brown, a national dialogue between the African American and Hispanic/Latino communities,

In 1998, the Rev. Dr. Williams received his PhD from the Union Institute and University of Cincinnati, Ohio in Global Education and Cultural Communications. He was then named the director of formation for his religious community. He has also served on the provincial council of the Missionaries for twelve years.

The Rev. Dr. Williams was named the director of racial equality and diversity for Catholic Charities USA in Alexandria, Va., in 2007. He established the national office  of the Institute for Recovery from Racisms in Washington, DC. An author and speaker, Fr. Williams has received many awards for his work and ministry.

He is presently on the leadership team of the Association of US Catholic Priests.; and has served as vice-president on the board of the National Black Catholic Clergy Caucus.

Fr. Williams is currently pastor of St. James the Less Parish in Columbus through June 30. On July 1 he will return to the Diocese of Columbus to continue ministry there.

The Missionaries of the Precious Blood is a religious society of priests, brothers and lay associates founded in 1815 by St. Gaspar del Bufalo. Society members work as missionaries in parishes in the U.S. and abroad, in education and in a wide range of apostolates, promoting the cause of God’s reconciliation worldwide by proclaiming the Word.

Advertisements