(4-13-22) The efforts of a Muncie-based social media group Predator Catchers Muncie has resulted in felony charges against two Portland men.
photos from Predator Catchers Muncie Facebook page
In unrelated cases, Cory A. Gundrum Sr. (44) and Wayne L. Lanning (45) have each been charged with child solicitation in Jay Circuit Court.
Cory A. Gundrum Sr., 44, 3131 Dover Lane, was arrested on Monday on charges related to sexual misconduct with a minor. He was charged Friday in Jay Circuit Court with a Level 4 felony for sexual misconduct with a minor, two Level 5 felonies for child solicitation and a Level 6 felony for obstruction of justice. He’s being held at Jay County Jail on two separate bonds for $30,000.
Gundrum is facing the following charges –
- F4 Sexual Midconduct with a minor
- F5 Child Solicitation (for intercourse)
- F5 Child Solicitation (for other sexual conduct)
- F6 Obstruction of Justice.
2 – $15,000 surety bonds.
A Portland man was arrested Friday for child solicitation. Wayne L. Lanning, 45, 835 E. Main St., was preliminarily charged with a Level 4 felony. He’s being held on a $30,000 bond in Jay County Jail.
Lanning is charged with –
- F4 for Child Solicitation
$30,000 cash bond.
Authorities allege both men tried to arrange sex with juveniles when they were actually communicating online with members of the online group Predator Catchers Muncie.
According to affidavits in the cases:
- Lanning in February requested nude photos from a person he believed was an 11-year-old girl, according to an affidavit.
- On Feb. 21, he was confronted by members of Predator Catchers Muncie. when he arrived at a Portland convenience store for a planned encounter with the girl, the document said.
- During a later interview with a Portland police officer, Lanning allegedly admitted he was a “would-be child molester,” and said he intended to have sex with the 11-year-old girl.
The child solicitation charge filed against him is a Level 4 felony carrying up to 12 years in prison.
Jay County Prosecutor Wes Schemenaur’s office filed documents accusing Lanning, whose criminal record includes convictions for arson and theft, of being a habitual offender.