(11-20-21) The Celina City Council will hear the 3rd reading of the Sanctuary City ordinance at Monday night’s meeting. The first two readings council members voted against the ordinance 4-2 each time.
- Celina City Council Votes Against Abortion And Sanctuary City Ordinance 4-2
- Celina City Council Votes Down Sanctuary City Ordinance 4-2 For 2nd Time
Each vote had at least one council member not in attendance.
How the votes went:
Voting on the first reading Council Members June Scott, Mark Fleck, Myron Buxton and Eric Lochteld voting no and council members Eric Clausen and Eric Baltzell voting yes. Councilman Mike Sovinski was absent.
Voting on the 2nd reading, Council members Mark Fleck and Eric Clausen voted yes. Voting no were Council Members Eric Lochtefeld, June Scott, Mike Sovinski and Myron Buxton. Councilman Eric Baltzell was absent.
The first vote Eric Baltzell voted yes, while Mark Fleck voted no the first time and yes the second time.
What could happen:
- Another no vote would end the ordinance
- A yes vote would pass the ordinance as an emergency action
- Should just six members be in attendance, a 3-3 tie vote would be broke on the vote of Council President Jason King
- The ordinance could be tabled for later consideration
The Outlook contacted Mayor Jeff Hazel for a statement on the ordinance via Messenger. The Mayor responded…only to delete his statement before we were able to post it. After trying a couple of more times for a response he did not get back to us.