On Saturday, June 3, 2017 at 9:07 p.m. Darke County Deputies, along with Osgood Fire and Rescue and Careflight were dispatched to 8019 Bulcher Rd. in reference to a child that had burn injuries.
Investigation revealed that Mike Nerderman was having a graduation party at his residence. There were numerous friends and family at the party. Nerderman’s 14 year old son, Austin Nerderman, and his 16 year old cousin, Calab Browder, were attempting to start a bonfire at the rear of the residence. Austin in attempting to start the fire poured gasoline on the fire to help ignite it. The fire ignited and quickly spread to the container that Austin was holding. Austin threw the container back away from the fire and it landed on a 11 year old male subject. The gasoline quickly ignited on the child and caused burns to the child’s chest, arms and upper thighs. Calab and Austin both attempted to put the fire out on the child and Austin finally bear hugged the child to smother the fire out.
The child was treated by Osgood Rescue and Fire. Careflight then transported to Dayton Children’s Hospital where he is listed in stable condition.
This incident remains under investigation by the Darke County Sheriff’s Office.