Foolwing courtesy of Nan Whaley web site –
(9-6-22) The story of America’s 20th Century is the story of Ohio. People came here for opportunity — immigrants from abroad, migrants from Appalachia and the Jim Crow South. We were home to inventors like the Wright Brothers, Garrett Morgan, and Thomas Edison, and pioneering companies like National Cash Register, Goodyear Rubber, and Republic Steel. Good, union jobs in manufacturing built our middle class and the natural resources, transportation, and supply chains supporting these industries ensured this prosperity stretched all over our state.
But for thirty years, our political leaders have allowed Ohio to fall further and further behind, choosing complacency over tough, honest conversations about the future of our state.
Ohio is at a crossroads. The world is changing — new industries and technologies are creating the good-paying jobs of the future. We can either adapt and change with it, or be left behind.
Nan is running for governor because she believes Ohio deserves better. We deserve a state where one good job is enough to provide for our families; where our kids and grandkids have opportunities; where we lead the nation in innovation.
This new Ohio can do even better than we have in the past, ensuring that the benefits of good jobs are available to everyone, no matter their race, sex, or zip code. To get there we have to be laser focused on growing the jobs of the 21st Century, supporting Ohio entrepreneurs, and raising wages for all Ohioans.
Ohio’s people are at the center of its economy — how Ohio’s people are doing around their kitchen tables each day is what matters most to Nan. That’s why Ohio’s families are at the heart of Nan’s jobs policy.
This plan lays out Nan’s vision for Ohio’s future:
- Invest in Ohio’s Businesses: A New Ohio Business Compact
- Invest in 21st Century Jobs: Building the Future in Ohio
- Invest in Ohio’s Workers: Raising Wages for All Ohioans
lt is guided by these core beliefs:
- One good job should be enough. Every Ohioan deserves the dignity of work — a job that provides opportunity for your family and kids, regardless of your zip code. You should be free to collectively bargain; have a safe workplace; receive adequate health care, paid sick and family leave; and earn a wage that pays you fairly for the important value you provide.
- There should be ample opportunity for your kids and grandkids to build their lives anywhere in Ohio. Whether you live in a small town or a big city, in a suburb or on a farm, you deserve to have access to economic opportunity in Ohio. Ohio’s strength is in just how big and diverse our state is — we can’t afford to leave anyone behind. We need to invest in Ohio talent all across the state.
- Ohio can lead the country in the jobs of the future. Ohio has always been a place of opportunity and innovation — of inventors and astronauts. We led the nation in the last manufacturing revolution and there’s no reason we can’t lead the next one. Ohio has the talent and the resources to once again be America’s economic powerhouse.
- We have what it takes to rebuild our economy. Nan believes in Ohio. Our state is full of gritty entrepreneurs and resilient workers who have the skills and resources to make our state a place where everyone can thrive. But, to do so we need a governor and a government that is looking out for Ohio families, not special interests.
ln order to build an Ohio where everyone has the opportunity to thrive, Nan will focus on three key areas: