(8-1-22) China’s government has warned that it will take “forceful measures” if Speaker Nancy Pelosi visits Taiwan during her Asian trip this week after it was reported that she would travel to the Chinese-claimed island nation. Hu Xijin, former chief editor of the Global Times, called Pelosi’s planned visit an “invasion,” and suggested shooting down the speaker’s plane if U.S. fighter jets escort her to Taiwan.
President Biden was asked on July 21st if Pelosi should travel to Taiwan, he told reporters:
“The military thinks it’s not a good idea right now, but I don’t know what the status of it is.”
Yesterday in her office’s press release, Taiwan was not mentioned in her plans –
“Today, our Congressional delegation travels to the Indo-Pacific to reaffirm America’s strong and unshakeable commitment to our allies and friends in the region. In Singapore, Malaysia, South Korea and Japan, our delegation will hold high-level meetings to discuss how we can further advance our shared interests and values, including peace and security, economic growth and trade, the COVID-19 pandemic, the climate crisis, human rights and democratic governance. Under the strong leadership of President Biden, America is firmly committed to smart, strategic engagement in the region, understanding that a free and flourishing Indo-Pacific is crucial to prosperity in our nation and around the globe.”
In an interview this morning on NewsNation Ohio Republican Congressman Warren Davidson said he thinks it is good thing that she visit Taiwan and added if she had asked he would have went with her to show support.
Pelosi to visit Taiwan despite threats from China l Morning in America
Aug 1, 2022 Ohio Republican Congressman Warren Davidson weighs in on Morning in America, NewsNation’s national morning newscast hosted by Adrienne Bankert.
The Members of the delegation are:
- Speaker Nancy Pelosi
- Chairman Gregory Meeks, Chair of the House Foreign Affairs Committee
- Chairman Mark Takano, Chair of the House Committee on Veterans’ Affairs
- Congresswoman Suzan DelBene, Vice Chair, House Ways and Means Committee
- Congressman Raja Krishnamoorthi, Member of the House Permanent Select Committee on Intelligence; Chair of the Subcommittee on Economic and Consumer Policy of the House Committee on Oversight and Reform
- Congressman Andy Kim, Member of the House Armed Services Committee; Member of the House Foreign Affairs Committee