Lima, OH (December 8, 2021) – The Lima Symphony Orchestra’s popular Symphony Storytime program returns next week to libraries in Celina, Delphos, and Kenton. Featuring a duet of Lima Symphony Orchestra musicians, this program will focus on the theme of opposites in music. Live programs will happen at the following locations:
Tuesday, December 14 at 10:30 AM – Mercer County District Library in Celina (303 N Main St, Celina, OH 45822)
Thursday, December 16 at 6:30 PM – Delphos Public Library (309 W 2nd St, Delphos, OH 45833)
Friday, December 17 at 10:30 AM – Mary Lou Johnson Hardin County District Library in Kenton (325 E Columbus St, Kenton, OH 43326)
For this innovative program, children and their families will enjoy outstanding newer publications featuring the theme of “opposites.” This program features Big is Big (and little, little), by J. Patrick Lewis, Big Bear, Small Mouse by Karma Wilson, and The Tortoise or the Hare by Toni Morrison and Slade Morrison, all accompanied by live music from Lima Symphony Orchestra musicians. The program will draw parallels between concepts of contrast using musical examples to accompany the stories. With a focus on creative movement and music literacy, “Symphony Storytime” is designed to spark children’s imaginations and foster a lifelong love of and appreciation for music. This program is appropriate for all ages and is free and open to the public.
- Big is Big (and little, little) by J. Patrick Lewis, illustrated by Bob Barner (2007)
- Big Bear, Small Mouse by Karma Wilson, illustrated by Jane Chapman (2016)
- The Tortoise or the Hare by Toni Morrison and Slade Morrison, illustrated by Joe Cepeda (2010)
- The Cakewalk from “Children’s Corner Suite” L. 113 by Claude Debussy
- Dance of the Sugar Plum Fairies from “The Nutcracker” by Pyotr Tchaikovsky
- In The Hall of the Mountain King by Edvard Grieg
These performances are part of the Lima Symphony’s ongoing commitment to music education and their firm belief that music and the other arts are critical tools in building strong communities. This project is supported by the following underwriters:
Symphony Storytime Sponsors:
- AC Dienstberger Foundation
- G.A. Wintzer & Son Co.
- State Bank
- Thermal Gard Window and Door
- Van Wert County Foundation
- Mercer County Civic Foundation
If you would like more information about Symphony Storytime programs, please call the Lima Symphony at 419-222-5701 or check our website for more details at www.limasymphony.com.