Ohio National Guard press release –
(11-13-20) The Ohio National Guard’s St. Marys Readiness Center has been a fixture in the community since 1920. It is no longer economically feasible to continue operations at the 100-year-old structure, and we have begun the process of shutting down the building.
The approximately 80 Soldiers of Company B, 838th Engineer Battalion, 37th Infantry Brigade Combat Team who had been drilling at St. Marys have been relocated to the Lima Readiness Center.
We have notified the Ohio Department of Administrative Services of our
intent to shut down operations and vacate the building. DAS will begin the
state’s process of transferring the property, which could include selling
the building to a municipality or entity interested in redeveloping it. We
do not know at this time when that will occur.
There is a proud history of Ohio National Guard service in St. Marys and
Auglaize County dating back to at least 1877. We appreciate the unwavering
support we have received for more than a century from the residents of St.
Marys. While the National Guard will no longer have an armory or units based there, we will continue to be ready to support the community when calledupon.